Looking for a healthy drink that refreshes and packs in probiotics? Kombucha, a fermented tea drink, offers just that in a delicious fizzy beverage loaded with B vitamins and antioxidants. But what if the benefits of drinking this lightly sweetened concoction came with the healthful effects of cannabis? Making your own version of cannabis kombucha is easy with just a little time and patience. It may seem like a slightly complicated chemistry experiment. But follow these steps on how to brew cannabis kombucha, and you’ll be sipping this tasty drink very soon.
What is Kombucha?
Made by adding together particular strains of bacteria, yeast, and sugar to black or green tea, kombucha requires significant time to brew. During this fermentation process, the bacteria and yeast form the shape of a mushroom on the surface of the mixture.
This blob has its own name: SCOBY. SCOBY is an acronym which stands for symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast. This SCOBY is truly a gift that keeps on giving. After it is formed in the original batch, it can be used to make new batches of kombucha.
As kombucha brews, it also produces vinegar and probiotics. Vinegar from this process helps the body by killing harmful bacteria. Furthermore, probiotics aid the body in digestion and helping to reduce inflammation. And to top it off, this tasty drink may reduce the risk of heart disease.
Before Beginning to Brew
Sure, regular kombucha comes in all sorts of flavors and can even be purchased at the local deli or grocery store. But cannabis kombucha has just recently hit the market. At the 2015 Cannabis Cup, this special “living tea” caused a stir.
Both Kannabucha and Cannbucha captured the attention of both health nuts and cannabis enthusiasts alike. But weed kombucha doesn’t have to come with a hefty price tag.
It’s completely feasible to make up a vat in your own home.
Before getting started, be sure that the chosen cannabis tea is not infused by a technique involving cannabis oil. Oils interact poorly with the SCOBY, wrecking the interaction between the tea and bacteria.
Black and green teas that are oil-free work best when approaching the task of how to brew cannabis kombucha.
To begin the kombucha making process, pull together these ingredients:
- About 10- 12 cannabis-infused tea packets, to taste
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- High-quality SCOBY
- 1 cup of store-bought kombucha (only necessary for the first batch)
- a gallon of purified water (not from the tap)
- a quart of your favorite juice (if you prefer a sweeter taste and have time for longer fermentation process)
You’ll also need a few sterilized glass bottles or jars with matching fermentation covers to launch your batch of cannabis kombucha. After gathering these necessary items, you’re set to brew.
How to Brew Cannabis Kombucha
- Start by boiling the purified water and adding the sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved completely. Then, add your favorite cannabis-infused tea bags to the water. Let them steep.
- After the mixture has totally cooled to room temperature, pour into the glass containers, leaving a little room left over in the bottle or jar. Do not rush this step, or the heat may compromise the most vital component of kombucha—the SCOBY.
- For the first ever batch, use the kombucha purchased from the store. Pour in half of the called-for cup.
- Then, using completely sanitary hands, put the SCOBY into the glass container. Don’t worry about any changes you may see. Both sinking or floating are normal responses.
- Put the fermentation covers over the containers to keep sterile. These jars must now be kept in a warm place, away from any other items undergoing fermentation. The best temperature range to store them is 75-85˚F, away from sun.
- Now, wait. Literally. Fermentation can take around 7-10 days. But to know when your kombucha is ready, open the lid slightly and with caution. Using a straw to draw up some of the liquid, test the kombucha for taste. It is ready when there is a semi-sweetness to its flavor.
- Finally, the cannabis kombucha is now ready to be enjoyed. Keep these tasty beverages in airtight containers. If desired, follow further steps for another round of fermentation. This will enrich flavors and boost the level of fizziness to your batch.
Round 2: The Double Brew
If you have the time and want to amp up an already delicious product, try another go at fermentation:
- Pull out more sterilized glass containers, making sure that one is large enough to contain a quart of juice and more. Put the contents of the quart into one jar, then dump your just-made kombucha over it, keeping some space at the top. Should you desire, this step is where add-ins can be thrown into the mixture. Try adding fruits, ginger, and herbs to get the exact flavor combinations you love.
- Keeping about ½ a cup of the kombucha you just made to the side, begin the fermentation instructions again. Now, instead of the store-bought kombucha, use your own batch.
- Allow it to ferment for another 7-10 days in an air-tight container, remembering all good things come with time. Then, finally, a carbonated, sweet, and dank beverage should be ready for you to enjoy.
Final Hit: How To Brew Cannabis Kombucha
Though the fermentation process takes a significant amount of time, it’s worth it. This potent and sippable drink will have you feeling healthy and high.
Try out different flavor combinations and cannabis-infused tea packets to find your favorite pairings. Always keep in mind the importance of knowing your dosages when making edibles.
If the amount of cannabis-infused tea packets called for in this recipe do not suit your needs, adjust to make the best version of this tea according to your needs and tastes.
10 Comic Books You Should Finally Read In 2019
CBS Rejects Plans to Air Cannabis Commercial During Super Bowl 2019
New Michigan Canna-Businesses Find Ways to House Cash in Banks
Cannabis Breeding Banter with Connoisseur Genetics
News6 days ago
Governor of New York Presents Plan to Legalize Recreational Marijuana
Activism4 days ago
Canadian Cannabis Activist Marc Emery Accused of Chronic Sexual Misconduct
News5 days ago
Marijuana Legalization Bill Killed by Virginia Lawmakers
News4 days ago
Iowa Mayor Charged For Growing 18 Marijuana Plants in Her Home
News6 days ago
Terminally Ill Patients in Australian Hospital to be Treated with Psilocybin
Medical Marijuana5 days ago
Governor of Florida Pushing to Lift Ban on Smokeable Marijuana
News5 days ago
Are Unlicensed Operators Accessing California’s Legal Cannabis Market?
Culture4 days ago
Why the Women of Broad City are the Stoner Heroines We’ve Been Waiting For