A central Florida middle school student is facing felony charges after bringing THC gummies to class and sharing them with other children. Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said at a press conference last week that a 12-year-old boy brought a block of Green Hornet THC-infused gummies to gym class and shared them with four girls and two boys, who “devoured” nearly all of the ten 10-milligram doses. Five of the children were subsequently taken to the hospital with complaints of nausea and vomiting.
“One of them was all but passed out,” Judd said.
“It’s easy to figure out,” Judd added. “A 100-milligram bar that should be split into ten separate doses of legal-use in California of THC, is now distributed…between six children.”
The youth is charged with one felony count of possession of THC or marijuana resin and six counts of distribution of THC within 1,000 feet of a school. He has also been charged with one misdemeanor charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.
The boy said he had been given the gummies on the school bus but his account of the source of the gummies kept changing, according to Judd. The sheriff theorized he may have purchased them over the internet or received them from someone else.
Judd said that the boy’s parents had been notified and that the investigation is continuing.
“His parents are totally cooperating, and understand the gravity of this situation,” Judd said.
When asked by reporters, Judd said that the other children would not be facing charges.
“The other kids have eaten the evidence, so to speak,” Judd said. “You could draw blood and then there would be misdemeanor possession. But no, we’re not going to charge the other children.”
Reefer Madness All Over Again
Judd appeared on Fox and Friends on Monday morning and said that he has been warning Floridians of the dangers of products like those the boy shared.
“I’m not a prophet or crystal ball, but I’ve been telling people in the state of Florida for years, whenever you take a substance like marijuana, and you put the THC into gummies, it’s going to end up in children’s hands,” Judd said. “When you look at the package it is called the Green Hornet. It is packaged and marketed toward children. So, what did we end up with? We ended up with six 12-year-old children who overdosed on Green Hornet gummies full of marijuana.”
The misinformed sheriff went on to say that cannabis deaths are a daily occurrence.
“It is ruining families and killing people every day across the United States and we stand here in denial thinking that it’s not a gateway drugs to drugs killing people,” Judd said.
In fact, there has not been a single documented case of a cannabis overdose resulting in death.
Judd also asserted that methamphetamine addicts consume marijuana to “cut the edge off” and that they “use marijuana and meth and go out and kill themselves and overdose or kill someone else.”
Fox and Friends host Steve Doocy concluded the interview by referring to the incident as “a cautionary tale.”